Thursday, April 18, 2013

HAIR!!!


When we first talked about adopting from Africa, I was very concerned about how I would handle a little girl whose hair is so different from mine.  My friend, who, at the time was in the process of adopting her 2 newest boys from Africa told me, "You probably won't get a girl, more people prefer to adopt them".  So I was not so worried about the hair, I could just shave it or keep it really short on a boy.  Yeah, God has a good sense of humor.  We said we would take a boy or girl, whoever needed a home.  So, here I am, as we are anywhere from a month to several months away from bringing our little girl home, FREAKING OUT about my abilities to do her type 4 hair.  Within days of receiving Della's referral I found a mom with a daughter just like mine who created a website on everything about chocolate hair.

http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/
I look back over the past years and see how God had planned placing Della in our family and has prepared us for her arrival in little ways.  Her hair and skin will require special care.  I don't think it's a coincidence that my hair went from totally straight to gradually becoming curly after the birth of my third child.  I had to start a different hair routine and found the "no-poo shampoo" (no sulfate shampoo, no silicone products) through a friend of mine who has had beautiful curly hair all her life.  I had no idea how much work went into curly hair!  Anyway, it turns out the "no-poo shampoo" is what is used on chocolate hair.  (Isn't it interesting my hair is becoming straight again.)  I have had 4 biological children with eczema and I myself have dealt with it.  You have to be vigilant with moisturizers and vaseline to keep it under control.  And wouldn't you know, that's how I have to treat Della's type of skin! 

Now, as I walk through the stores or in town, I take notice of the neat and tidy hair styles of little chocolate girls.  I tell myself, "I can do this".  And if I can't, I'm willing to ask those little girl's mom's for advice :).  Della's foster mom is prepping Della as her hair grows more each month.  It's long enough for tiny braids:

first braids










No comments:

Post a Comment