Saturday, September 21, 2013

Happy 2nd Birthday, Della!




Della turned 2 today!  Looking back, before I was married, I never thought my life story would include 5+ kids (one of which we've adopted) and various walking aide paraphanalia for a child with special needs.  It amazes me when I think about how God works in my life when I allow Him to.....when I say "yes".  And it also amazes me how it all seems so regular to live this life with the unexpected.  This new part of our life at times feels uncomfortable, but at the same time it feels good and fulfilling.  I keep reminding myself......God doesn't call us to be comfortable, He calls us to live for Him.

The transition of having Della come home has gone SO well!  She and all the kids are bonding and loving (and yes, of course fighting a little).  Astoundingly, she is picking up English very well. Della is such a sweet little joker and very persistant.  She loves to play games and is sooo friendly.  She talks and talks and talks, much like our 5 year old Josey.  They sleep in the same room together in different beds and that has been our trick to getting Della to sleep all night. 



We're still working on getting her to nap by herself while Josey's at school (she does that half the time).  She eats like a champ and doesn't like peas or strawberries.  She's usually the first and the last eating at the table.  She loves to pretend play and read....really likes balloons.  A couple of weeks ago she started telling me right before she would poop in her diaper, so one day I sat her on the toilet and she went!  So we've been working on potty training her, I just need to commit to it!  And I need to find underwear small enough to fit her.  All my other children were 3 years old before they were interested in potty training.

Della got braces about 3 weeks ago.  They help her to be more stable as she walks and stands.  She got a walker last week which is a temporary one until we can get one fitted for her.  She really walks well and is very excited! 

She does a lot of "play" physical therapy and is getting stronger.  When the kids are home she is always playing with someone, when they are at school she's "stuck" to my side.... good bonding time.  For the first time last Friday I left her for 6 hours with Grandma while I went on a Field Trip with Wyatt.  I'm sure I was more upset than she was.  She didn't fuss once and loved being held all day!

I've gotten some of the dreaded questions and comments, haven't handled them like I planned to, but I'll do better next time.  I'm so glad this little girl is home, sleeping in her bed right now, and that I didn't have to be so far away for her second birthday as I was for her first!



No comments:

Post a Comment