Thursday, February 26, 2015

"Your doing WHAT?!"

That's the question I would have asked myself 4 years ago.

God is crazy!  In a couple of days my good friend, Rebecca, and I are going back to my daughter's birth country in Central Africa.  Going on a "missions trip" (along with adopting a child) is not something I thought was part of my life story.  I was (and still am) comfortable, happy, saved by Jesus!  It was easy to gloss over the verses that said to me "care for the orphans", "if you have a lot, give a lot because it isn't really yours, God gave it to you",  and "I love you, I know what's best for you, TRUST IN ME".  But, I have learned not to box God in, not to assume what my purpose is in life.  I have learned not to believe that I am not special enough or strong enough to do those type of things....those type of "things" that others are called to do.  I really don't have the energy for 5 or more children (one of whom has special physical needs), I don't have the money to help support 200 children more than 6,000 miles away, or the time to leave my family when I run the household.  But, my weaknesses are not stronger than God's strength.

When I remember standing in front of children who I felt craving my love, the love of one stranger.....I can't forget that feeling.  I touched & kissed them, I smelled them, they are real....and they are still in that orphanage.  The one that has dirty concrete floors, that smells worse than a barnyard.  The one where there aren't enough beds, food, medicine, clothes, and caretakers.  The one where children die from simple preventable malnutrition.

After being there God has lit a fire under me!  And I pray God rekindles that fire into a raging inferno!   I am scared and nervous, not because of where I will be physically, but because of what I will experience emotionally.

I am not going to wait for someone else to take action.  I might mess it up a little, but God doesn't call perfect people to do great things, He uses epic failures.   




No comments:

Post a Comment