Thursday, March 5, 2015

Beauty From Ashes

We visited the orphanage from the first day again.  When we walked in the children remembered us and were very happy!  They all wanted to be held and hold a hand.  They would gently stroke my hair or my skin.  One little girl was very possessive of me!  She would grunt at others and squeal if she thought another child was going to steal me.  


I learned "Nalingi yo" which means "I love you" in lingala.  The children would smile and laugh.  We brought some foam mattresses for a couple of beds that had only slates and new underwear. 



These twins may look healthy, but their bellies are very extended and the staff is in the process of treating them.




 This little boy (above) got hurt, after I consoled him he didn't want to leave my embrace.






 This little girl (above) wanted held a lot, she was sweet :)




The children loved to get their photo taken....they would say "photo, photo?".


"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor.  He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion -  
to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, 
the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.  They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor."
Isaiah 61:1-3

A view of the beautiful city!


Handmade children's clothes for sale right outside the orphanage.

No comments:

Post a Comment