Thursday, August 8, 2013

Things I've come to appreciate

I have come to rely on things a little too much, and at times let them consume me.  What I see in the lives of African people - less earthly things, more reliance on God.  As a dear friend here in the US has often discussed with me, are we better off in our society, where we need nothing?  It's so easy to forget about God when all our physical needs are met and even surpassed.  I forget my breath is not my own, I am not in control of it all.  I need to surrender everything to Him, can I really do that?  Am I really accepting His unconditional love and and am I willing to give up whatever He asks?


I have found a renewed appreciation for..... automatic clothes washer and dryer, dishwasher, screaming children, every day chores that never seem to get done, more than one room in our living quarters, an over abundance of food and choices of food (including grocery stores!), eating at a restaurant and not worrying about if I will get sick from it, the clean smell of the US air, people who obey traffic rules and peaceful driving, having a car to transport people and things SAFELY.  I know, not a big deal, right?  Well, after having experienced the Africa for two weeks I have come to appreciate these simple things in life.  I really missed these things when they were gone, and now that I've got them back I appreciate them more.



Here was my clothes "washer and dryer" situation while in Africa, and it took a minimum of 2 days for things to dry:


We ate at this buffet restaurant which tasted awesome and cost $60 for 2...but we suffered the whole next day:


We had almost nothing to do while in Africa.  Therefore, I will try to appreciate my crazy, busy, "seems like I never get anything done" life here in the US:

Sit outside

Watch lizards

Watch Doug read, and read, and read.....

Try for many days to capture a photo of this fast little bird

It's so nice to have more than one room to live in, and have the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want.  Here's where we called home in Africa:



I'm learning to not stress when a little one's crying, but to enjoy the sound (sounds crazy, huh?) because that child is alive, in my presence.  I think back to the day we thought Josey was lost last year at Myrtle Beach where this whole thought of adopting stemmed from.  (Check out post titled : I once was lost, but now I'm found )  We were back at the beach house and she was crying because she didn't want to nap, but I loved hearing her cry because she wasn't gone.



And now, as Della screams because she doesn't like that she can't throw a toy across the room in a rage, it doesn't stress me out as much...because she's finally home.  I can hear her with my own ears:






No comments:

Post a Comment